Friday, January 20, 2012

18. Things I Will MIss

Wednesday 15 July.  9:50 a.m.  Cloudy.  In an empty, of sorts, home, the movers came yesterday, Martin, Michael and ? (no teeth, the driver, cockney, per Cathy).

Things I shall miss:

·         All the green (running through Audley End yesterday, looking over the hills, the path almost growing over at the top, as the grass bends over, after a day of rain.)

·         Bustling market days, cries of vendors.

·         Birds noisily engaged, the swifts in summer, frolicking in the air, reminding me of moths circling, perhaps flies.  I do not think I will miss the insects: the feeling yesterday, running, of being covered in my hair with small flying bugs.  We both notice now how we don't seem to mind the dirty, insect splashed windscreen.

·         The handsome wood pigeons and the pretty speckle breasted -- is it a thrush?

Charity of the imagination little becomes me,
I think, face to face with my limitations
I have no time to rehabilitate a lifelong
image of myself as a rich breeder of worries.

From Friday at St. John's Smith Square:  It starts innocently enough. (At the stroke of seven, Big Ben, 10 July).

Crossing Frontiers.

Idea that dead people were real but does that make people I know (living) any more real?  How much can anyone know my internal life?

The countryside: in the Southwest, I was reminded of the Cotswolds, rolling hills, with hedges, but the hills seem more open and there are no stone walls.

Driving through Surrey from Bournemouth I was surprised at the dense trees, many seemed to be evergreen.  Bournemouth itself had many evergreens, you could almost feel a Mediterranean flavor.

Each time I drive around Cambridge, I am reminded of what a great place it is to run or ride a bike.  So flat!

Drove out to Haverhill on Sunday.  Pretty hillside/hills, good views.  I have finally figured out that the place where the American flag flies between Little Walden and Linton zoo area, on the top of the hill, is probably the old Little Walden airfield.  (This is the 50th anniversary of the "Friendly Invasion" of 1942, when the American airmen came over and operated out of the airfields in East Anglia.  Dad said he didn't come over until 1943.)

Thinking yesterday as I spotted a huge cloud to the west at midday, what if that were God?  My thought was, I wouldn't be afraid, he'd be too big to know me, know what it's like to be me, then the beauty of the plan that Jesus become a man, to know what  it's like to be me.  The thought of the Incarnation is absolutely staggering!  Then shortly afterwards, my mind running through my money worries.  I listened to a woman who worked on a sex line.  She was in her 50's, then would describe herself in fantasy underwear, etc, to male caller.  (She was reporter for the Mirror who obtained the job for a story.)  She said the fantasy was OK, it was when the man started groaning at the other end, often dropping the phone, she said she became physically ill.

I was almost sickened myself, thinking of such promise we have and how low we can sink!  I have sympathy for both the women and the callers.  One needs money, the other needs help (be it lonely, etc.).  It is a form of therapy.  The real culprit is the investor, the company that sets up something like this, the regulators that turn a blind eye.  Liberalism is a heavy burden: you want to support freedom, encourage it, yet this is what becomes of it!  The change, however, must be from within.

I prayed a lot this year for my future, not knowing exactly what sort of future to pray for, I prayed for help, guidance, wanting to make my own way as a writer, yet not wishing to tie my future up in a predictable way.  I'm not sure if I have any answers.

Noon.  Still cloudy.

I began this year, I remember, wondering how I might come to know God.  I thought often, how can I love someone I do not know?

The steady refrain which has come back to me this year is that God is all around me, visible through his creation.  And I have wondered at the beauty of God, coming around to the idea that perhaps heaven, eternity, is not such a bad place.  Perhaps I would not be bored if it were beautiful, if I think of heaven like a garden.  I often wonder about myself, how sometimes I see, hear, smell things so beautiful I wish my life could be spent contemplating those things, and nothing else, just appreciating natural beauty.

(Robin on the clothes line.  They are much smaller, half the size of ours, tall, spindly legs, like toothpicks.)

God's beauty is all around.  Yet Jesus says (I have been thinking of this lately), "My kingdom is not of this world."  Some say the kingdom is here and now.  Perhaps if I think of heaven as love of family?  Family always has been the most important thing to me, though I have not always realized that (perhaps, however, I sensed it).  A family in perfect harmony, father, sons, grandfather, grandchildren--if they had nothing to keep them apart!  Though perhaps I am sentimentalizing.

Recently, as I spoke with Mara or one of the older boys, I realized that there was not much I remembered about friends in England.  How good a friend was Michael W.?  Did he ever spend the night?  Were we just nearby neighbors?  Were there any other boys I was friendly with?  (Were there very many boys in the school?)  Recalling 1958-59: I do not remember ever really missing Peter, except perhaps at the beginning.  Was that because I was distracted by so many new things, because I was surrounded by so many brothers and sisters, or because I was at last happy to be on my own?  I seem to remember that I developed a fondness for solitude in the Palisades, sort of in response to being away from Peter and the group in Malibu, at a new school, a bit shy.  Lately, I have wondered, perhaps I was always the solitary type and either too entertained by Peter, too weak to resist his demands or simply unable to say no to someone in need.  (I have the same feeling nowadays when I receive a renewal request from a magazine!).

(The robin is back for ten seconds, then gone, after a glance at me, or perhaps, as it looks, begins to look, like rain, it has things to do, eat perhaps, before it gets wet.  I notice the birds are now very quiet.)

I'm not sure of the meaning of my new interpretation.  It does seem to offer a more unifying theme to my life, and specifies Peter as the change, rather than the change coming after Peter.

 Later . . .  still in the dining room.  It has been a busy year.  Cathy and I agreed yesterday that we never felt we sat around that much.

 "Grandmas sit in chairs and reminisce." ("The Beat Goes On.").

 I'm sure I've said it before, but, to be sure: God is an optimist (Is this merely love, steadfast love?), always expecting us to choose Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment