Friday, January 6, 2012

17. Another Letter Home; More Gatsby

1 June 1992
Dear Pam,

Cathy and I had a nice long lunch with your sister last week, and I thought of dropping you a line before we leave.  Our time is fast approaching.  Sometimes I have his intense urge to stay here, I'm not sure what it is, perhaps all the green and the history and the manners, civility; perhaps it is just the pleasure of having had the year off, with, literally, no worries, (though of course we manage to create worries in whatever situation we are in).  On the other hand, it will be fun to go home and see everyone again, to be in our own home, to be in our own country, and we look forward to it.  Still, wouldn't I like to be like your sister!  Though there being six of us makes a little bit of a difference!

It has been a fantastic year, we've taken lots of trips, been to London lots of times, seen lots of plays, museums, churches, the whole show.  We've been on the walking tour of Cambridge four times, been punting on the Cam.  Two weeks ago we went to the Chelsea Flower Show and had our first Pimm's.  We've had our share of bitter and cider and regular old lager, though we have not yet really experienced the great pastime of the middle classes: sitting outside in front of the pubs, drinking pint after pint, preferably on a hot day when every male takes his shirt off.  Perhaps before we leave! On the other hand, our skin has all become so white (compared to home, not compared to English skin) that we will no doubt be much more careful about tanning this summer.

Saffron Walden is a nice little town, not quite a city, bigger than a village: three laundries, a supermarket, four or five drugstores, one hotel, five or six restaurants, five or six pubs, a small department store, two bookstores/stationers, five banks, four S&Ls, plus an assortment of shoe, antique, furniture, and clothing stores and bakeries, butchers and fresh vegetables.  There is a market on Saturday and Tuesday in the market square, and the town is almost always busy, people walking about with things to do.  Robert, Mara and Jeffrey are at St. John's in Cambridge (one of the two "chorister" schools in Cambridge, the other being King's).  It is an excellent school; people sign up their kids at birth to get in and the "leavers" go on after sixth form (7th grade) to the name schools like Harrow, etc.  We are definitely in on the right track.  Robert did not make the cricket team, but keeps score, and we follow the school team.  Our friend advises us to learn cricket and you will understand the English. 

I have spent much of my time at my desk, working at being a writer, though I am not sure I have anything to show for it.  I did send in my manuscript to a literary agent, and he sent back a very constructive rejection letter (I read it once in March, but couldn't bring myself to reread it until last week when I was able to appreciate his comments over and above the rejection).  Still I keep at it and did enter some contests though of course no prizes.  I have also done more reading than I would have done at home.  As it happens I have just finished rereading The Great Gatsby and am surprised to see how much a bearing it has on where I am now, for it is all about dreams, "Winter Dreams" he calls them elsewhere: dreams which so capture our imagination and attention that they rule our lives.  England was one of those dreams, perhaps there are others as well.  Fitzgerald isn't much help on what comes next, only the danger/tragedy of letting those dreams rule your life. 

Everyone says that we have not experienced much of an English winter.  We did have a week of hard frost the week before Christmas, and it was cold, but nothing we couldn't handle.  There is a drought here too.  It is very green, but there is not enough rain in the winter to replace the underground supplies, so water is being used up faster than replaced, though that is only in parts of England, mainly the southeast, where we are.  May was the hottest month of May since 1833, but we were told that it rained everyday in June last year, before the rest of the summer warmed up.  Today is starting like last year I guess.  We had some showers over the weekend and the heat wave seems to be broken with rain on the way this week.  Springtime here is exceptionally beautiful.  In Las Vegas I sneeze through spring and find it difficult to breathe.

School is out the 22nd of July and our lease is up the 27th.  I hope we will stay till then, returning on the 28th for a quick drive back from NY in our beloved, but well broken in, VW bus. 

See you soon.  Give our best to Joe and the boys.  Enclosed for your spare time is part of my book, which I will save now till I'm famous!

* * * * *

Tuesday 2 June.  8:50 a.m. Cloudy, cool.  Thinking about Gatsby last night.  Amazing he did this, put the story together, only eight (I think) chapters, 168 pages, yet rich with details and story.  As I was thinking about it again this morning, wondering who I could portray, or use as a model, it occurred to me that there are few people I know who have a dream!  They do have dreams, of course, but they are of cars and houses and savings accounts, things like that.  I suppose in that way I am very much like my father in that my dreams have no practical relationship to my life.  How many times have people said (or have I thought) I'm like my mother, but I think having known no other life or the hardship of the "cruel world" (other than the hardship of motherhood which is its own burden, but different) she naturally assumed that life was the way she had lived and the way her husband had imagined it would be, so they were suited to each other.  It was only later in their lives when she realized that his dreams did not always lead them to the type of life she imagined, they sometimes led beyond it, past the enjoyment, the peace, the richness of the present life, on to the next dream.

But I think the point to be made is that the Buckley dream is very much different than those silly dreams of economic prosperity which led on most people.  We had dreams of fat Christmases, missionary deaths, Hollywood romances, political intrigues and so on.

It is interesting to think that perhaps my father has kept alive, in an adulterated way, some of the dreams of his forefathers and foremothers as they set across the ocean, looking for a new land with a hope for new freedoms, new lives, not just prosperity, but hope for better lives, though now that I write that, I'm not exactly sure what it means beyond prosperity: free to grow up and be the master of your own fate?  Do I really mean to say that this is the same dream my father had?  When he left New York?  When he moved to England?  When he moved to Las Vegas?  Has he perhaps transferred his dream to the 20th Century?  In other words, changing the desire to escape the oppression of a poor, conquered country (Ireland) to a desire to escape the everyday lives which are the modern day equivalent: our own poor spirits, conquered by materialism?

Thomas' "Smelly Wellies"

No comments:

Post a Comment