Thursday, January 5, 2012

17. Gatsby and Dreams

Monday 1 June.  1:15 p.m.  Cloudy day, birds as usual chirping away, making a lot of noise.

Finished Gatsby this morning and it struck me for the first time (is this my first or second reread?) about the dreams, what Fitzgerald calls "Winter Dreams" in the story of that name which is included in my book.

Pages 104/105:

He talked a lot about the past and I gathered that he wanted to recover something, some idea of himself perhaps, that had gone into loving Daisy.  His life had been confused and disordered since then, but if he could once return to a certain starting place and go over it all slowly, he could find out what the thing was . . ..


. . . One autumn night, five years before, they had been walking down the street when the leaves were falling, and they came to a place where there were no trees and the sidewalk was white with moonlight.  They stopped here and turned toward each other.  Now it was a cool night with that mysterious excitement in it which comes at the two changes of the year.  The quiet lights in the houses were humming out into the darkness and there was a stir and bustle among the stars.  Out of the corner of his eye Gatsby saw that the blocks of the sidewalk really formed a ladder and mounted to a secret place above the trees—he could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck up the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder.
 

Then to the last page:

Its [Long Island] vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock.  He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it.  He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us.  It eluded us then, but that's no matter---tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . .  And one fine morning --

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Then, from "Winter Dreams" (p. 176, Chapter II):

Now, of course, the quality and the seasonability of these winter dreams varied, but the stuff of them remained. 

Then, the last few pages:

He had thought that having nothing else to lose he was invulnerable at last--but he knew that he had just lost something more, as surely as if he had married Judy Jones and seen her fade away before his eyes.


The dream was gone.  Something had been taken from him.  In a sort of prairie he pushed the palms of his hands into his eyes and tried to bring up a picture of the waters lapping on Sherry Island and the moonlit veranda, and gingham on the golf links and the dry sun and gold color of her neck's soft down.  And her mouth damp to his kisses and her eyes plaintive with melancholy and her freshness like new fine linen in the morning.  Why, these things were no longer in the world!  They had existed and they existed no longer.
 

. . . He wanted to care, and he could not care.  For he had gone away and he could never go back anymore.  The gates were closed, the sun was gone down, and there was no beauty but the gray beauty of steel that withstands all time.

WOW!

What are my dreams?

(Long pause.)

One of those dreams was to live in England, another, I suppose, is to live somewhere where it is green and there are big trees.  I have a vision of the California coast.  But I have never pursued my dream to the exclusion of all else.

I think back on pursuing M. in 1969.  Now that was probably the kind of dream, similar to Gatsby's, makes me think right now that in some ways my life this year has been like it was in 68 -69.  I have pursued only what I wanted to, nothing less, nothing more.  I suffered in 1969, I behaved as if there were nothing more than M. and writing poetry, and I lost out, I failed the course.  This year there was nothing to fail, I suppose, and I had my loved ones with me so I could not totally withdraw from the outside world.  I have a bit more confidence now and know a bit more about the world, but my situation is still in many ways the same.  I have gambled with money and not with my education, although I maintain that it was money well spent this year to bring the children here.  I could have stayed at home and we could have had heaps more money, but in the end we would have spent it there as well.

After June, 1969 I ended up dropping out of pre-med and taking up English.  I had failed the sciences.  I wonder how I would be graded now?

Certainly, I do not appear to have failed as a lawyer.  The opposite seems true.  Yet in spite of this, I pursue my writing avocation frequently enough to merit some decision, some grade.  Perhaps it is this which I think I have failed, law being closer to the right course, but still not it.

In the long run I have not experienced Gatsby's or Dexter's ("Winter Dreams") disillusion.  I have dreams of M., Malibu, Palisades, Pasadena, England.  They have not died.  I know my dream is false.  Perhaps that is the difference.  I know that Cathy, Robert, Mara, Jeffrey and Thomas are the true dream, wherever we are.  I thought that was true, now I feel it as well.  Yet I do have these old drams.  Perhaps I need to disillusion myself.  I do on occasion, but they come back.

My book I suppose is/was my attempt to read my dreams and in that attempt I believe I succeeded.  That, after all, is how we ended up here, pile brick on brick of a foundation of my person, look at those bricks, take them apart, put them back together again and see what I have.  It is writing that gives me pleasure, so I will keep at it.  Some way.

I take it for granted that this year will not greatly change our lives.  Things will be pretty much as they were when we get back.  I suspect we will fall back into our old ways.  Will it/can it change us at all?  If not, is our year wasted?

Perhaps it will change our thinking a bit.  It is hard to imagine once again sitting in a partnership meeting, listening to people talk about themselves, the same old cliches, though I suppose the same different old cliches exist here.  It is only writers who break the old cliches!!  (Now that's a thought.)

Gatsby was motivated, yet blinded by his dream/vision of Daisy.  Dexter was motivated, yet able to pull himself beyond the lure only by getting far away from the sight of Judy Jones.  Gatsby, on the other hand, kept Daisy within sight, and in a fateful way it was his undoing, in the sense that he allowed his mind to lose sight of his financial doings, ignored them because he was bewitched by Daisy, yet it was Daisy who may have got him where he was.  Perhaps the moral is to use your dream, to love it, but to also, in a way, hate, knowing that it will consume you, be your downfall if you allow it to rule you rather than to inspire you.

As I was reading "Winter Dreams" I began to see Judy Jones as a symbol for America.  She is rich, she is talented, carefree, hauntingly desirable.  Yet she has no compunction about leading one or two or more men on at one time, teasing each of them with thoughts of forever, even in the long run she is like America because she settles down into a normal family life, very ordinary.

She is like America's attraction to novel ideas, embracing many different kinds at once, loving many different kinds of peoples at once as well.  In the long run, however, she settles down to ordinary family life, and isn't that so American, our attraction with so many interesting ideas (having no real solid cultural heritage, but freedom), yet in the end coming down to old fashioned middle class morality/society.  Very interesting idea.  Was that what Fitzgerald had in mind?

And what happened to the dejected/rejected lovers (ideas)?

I suppose that they go on to lead ordinary lives as well, once the dream is shattered.  Yet, interestingly, it is the false love/idea of America that makes these would be lovers successes, so the wrong idea is good to begin with.  I suppose, however, the cost is high since it involves the disillusionment of our dreams.

Is disillusionment something we must experience?

Nick is even attracted to a bit of the dream.  That, after all, is why he goes to New York City.  But he also experiences firsthand what that dream can do to you, what people are really like as you live that dream.  People are uncaring.  It is only people like Gatsby who have imagination to capture/entertain the rest of us.

Where do my dreams fit into this?

I suppose if I am like Nick I return home, or if I am like Dexter I run away to where that dream does not exist.  Perhaps now I understand!  For it seems to me that Las Vegas is a place devoid of all but the basest dreams, where there can be no temptation to fall for the allure of sentimental and romantic dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment