Tuesday, January 17, 2012

18. Bournemouth; the Easy Way Out; Freedom

Monday 6 July.  We leave Lyme Regis at about 11, and drive to Weymouth, where we wander around a busy little harbour after lunch at a TGIF type place.  We are the only ones for lunch.  Food was OK, burgers like shoe leather.  Afterwards we walk down to the diving museum, which is quite good and has an interesting display on the Titanic.  We watch a boat unloading crabs, then it is time to leave.  Robert and Jeffrey try to win £5 by riding a funny bike/scooter, but fail.  (What is the secret?)  It is a lovely day as we drive through Wessex, Thomas Hardy country.

We leave Weymouth at 3:55 and drive to Bournemouth, getting there at 5:10.  We find what we have been looking for: a long, broad, warm sandy beach.  We find plenty of parking spaces nearby as the crowds have thinned.  Lot of kids, French, Norwegian, Russian or some other east Europeans, even a topless 45-55 year old woman.  Thomas goes nude, Mara topless in her underwear, Robert and Jeffrey both in their shorts; it is lovely and relaxing.  I even bring out the Hermes towel again!  We finally leave at 7:25 and have a spirited ride home, arriving at 10:15.







Tuesday 7 July.  Home at Saffron Walden.  12:15 p.m.  Unpacking the trunk and sorting through papers, inventories.  Getting ready to leave.

Cloudy, after a crystal clear evening last night as we drove up the M-11 to Saffron Walden from the south.  I have just sat down to write in the middle of packing and cleaning.  (I knew Cathy would return with Thomas as soon as I sat down!  Back late from Waitrose and horseback lessons.)  I thought I would note some fleeting thoughts over the past few days.

The precipitating moment for writing this morning is as follows:  I was in the garage sweeping, thinking about packing, recalling that I packed the same way last year, little by little.  Each time I packed away all but the "necessaries."  As the week passed until the next packing, the necessaries became fewer.  In other words: each time I packed I was able to discard more from my immediate needs.  I realize it is only packing, but it shows how we can get used to things.  When we first came over here, indeed for several months, I used to think, wouldn't it be nice to bring back a BMW, a Merc, etc. or, best yet, an old right hand drive Jag.  Now I think: I hope I do not have to buy a car for many years, and when I do, I'll buy one of those cheap but nice VW's.

So I think we've learned to get along with less over here.  When we return we will, however, once again get into the habit of using our "conveniences" again: microwave, coffee grinder, VCRs, cable TV, etc. and I will soon notice that Brian has a nice new car or Gary has a new suit or whatever, and I will feel myself pulled into the same old whirlpool of consumption.  Will I be able to restrain myself?

The Easy Way Out.  This morning I was looking through the "Legal Appointments" section of the "Business Times" (Part II of the paper, which, by the way, split into three parts while we were here, taking out some from first and putting into "Life and Times" section, or something like that).  As usual, I did not see anything in the Legal Appointments for American lawyers (in contrast, lately there have been ads by U.S. law firms for solicitors).  Later, as I was sweeping in the garage, I had a major insight!  It occurred to me for the first time that perhaps I might be able to understand M. Fridolin, Fr. Van Dorn.  I thought, as I cleaned, that by looking through the "adverts" for legal jobs, a job I don't really want, I am taking the easy way out.  What I want to do is to be able to support myself by writing, so I can concentrate on the children and birds and nature and Cathy, all the personal things in life; but that is very hard!  (I have no need to remind myself.)  Perhaps that is how I came to be a lawyer.  It was the easy way out. 

I was thinking about all of this right after I had been filling out the customs declaration for our return and thinking about having to pay thousands of dollars in duty.  What should I do??  Then this morning the thought came easily: just fill it out correctly; "do the right thing," and don't give it any more thought.  Perhaps this was a clue to my thoughts a few minutes later on why Fridolin and Van Dorn said I took the easy way out.  At that time that's what I did: in the form of thoughtless, smart aleck comments designed to please my neighbor, entertaining myself with baseball games, music, etc.

I have also been thinking, since I went to confession last, with Jeffrey in London, when I had a conversation with the priest regarding temptation, noticing women (though, as I have told Cathy my--chased out a black lab!-- thoughts rarely, if ever, go beyond just looking.  They are very limited fantasies, wondering what's beneath the clothes, perhaps more symbolic of my desire to see inside other people more completely than humans are able.  I know Cathy, Robert, et al. I cannot ever know their hidden beings, that must be left to the next life, I suspect, and that is the one thing of heaven that begins to interest me, especially when I consider that heaven promises to bring a closer relationship with God, the mind of all minds!).  Anyway, ever since that day at confession, when I answered my own question by saying, "I suppose it just takes discipline, doesn't it?" my thoughts have been heading in the direction of where they ended up this morning regarding talent and potential.

I understand a little better now.  I have wondered, worried a lot why these people did not tell me what my talent/potential was.  How was I supposed to know?  And there is some truth to that, when looking at things from the mind of a young teenage boy.

As I look back to Fr. VanDorn's class, however (though much of it was spent in a daze), I remember wanting to learn more about Teilhard and do more volunteer work.  I just never followed through.  It is hard and it remains hard to figure out what we really want.  (It has taken me over 20 years to figure out where I fit in, though I am not concluding that I have solved my problems, only that I have recognized to a better degree what others saw in me, and realized that, while sometimes it is hard to know what I want, if I think about it, pray about it and just let it come, it will come.)  Harder still is putting something into action with a singlemindedness of purpose and effort which I tend to shy away from.

Last night on the M-way, I was also thinking that I used to pray for wisdom and that I do feel as if my prayers have been answered.

Somewhere, sometime in the past few days, perhaps it was also on the drive home last night, I heard or read that, "he was educated and not much good for anything, what else was there for him to do but write?" or something like that.  I felt it fit me accurately.

To conclude this spate of wisdom:  discussing with Cathy at dinner Sunday night, how, in the "old days", i.e., pre-20th Century, there was much more concern in daily life with survival.  Marriage and children were important enough that it made sense to marry for worldly success of family or successors, to marry for money or the prospect of children, things that might ensure the success of the family; and that love did not necessarily enter into things.  Having a mistress (or the male equivalent) tended to creep into things as the human emotions constantly bubble to the surface, requiring the individual to deal with it somehow.

Today, we have a more serious task facing us than in the old days, because we are no longer saddled with the continuation of our families/race (at least not in the same manner as before; saving the planet is extra-family).  These days we are faced with the much more serious task of looking for and finding love, which is why, I think, there are so many unhappy people.  It is much easier to make a successful physical and material match than a love match!

No More Old Rules.  A follow on thought suggested itself to me, as I sat on the beach yesterday with Cathy, at Bournemouth, watching the children in the water, at a lovely, sandy beach:   Before our times, when marriage or anything else was important for survival (for example, history and art and education) it was attended by pomp and circumstance.  There were ceremonies because of its importance.  Society rightly acted tough, placing an emphasis and importance on these things.  Now these once crucial human activities are not as important.  Why?  In marriage because the human race has managed to survive and increase, and continuing our race is not as important as it once was.  In the case of art, history and education, perhaps because of the ease with which knowledge, which we mistake for wisdom, can be ours.  We can watch a movie tell us all about ancient times or life around the world.  We also live in times so much more materially advanced that it seems we are at the pinnacle of human achievement, and that pinnacle reaches higher and higher every day, making last year's achievements (let alone last century's) pale in comparison.  So the whole picture of what has gone before becomes much less important, as today's achievements are glorified in the daily media.

With the lessening importance of what were once revered customs, ceremonies, events in one's life, there has arisen a complete freedom to do what one pleases.  The social constraints are off (sex is a good example of this) and we are no longer beholden to old fashioned rules.

What does this mean?

It has its analogy to my own life.  I told the priest, yes I must be disciplined, and I think that is true with our lives.  The church, to take one example, has treated sex with great respect, knowing the power it can have over us if unleashed without any rules.  The problem confronting us today is how to deal with our freedoms, how to keep our sights set on the higher goals we humans are capable of and not, as Fr. Van Dorn once said, succumb to taking the easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment