Thursday, January 19, 2012

18. The Movers Coming; First Communion Pictures

Thursday 9 July.  10:30 a.m.  Cloudy.  Rain expected.  Thomas and I home alone.

 The Lost Generation.  The attraction I had always felt for Hemingway and the so-called" lost generation" of the 1920's expatriates in Paris struck home when I saw several of my classmates, Class of 1968, Loyola High School: Brian Green, Steve/Peter McMorrow (one of them) and a few others "correctly" identified in the school newsletter as x, y and z of the class of 1957!  In the same issue, few, if any notes on the 1960's graduates.  (What happened to us?)

 Other indications of a "lost" generation: the student strike in college in 1970, the bomb scares, the bomb drills in grade school.  I never saw an announcement for my college reunion, class of 1972.

 Friday 10 July.  8:25 a.m.  Cloudy, almost cold.

 Attended "Fruit and Wine" party at the Pythagoras College at St. John's, honoring staff who are leaving, primarily Sheila Hayward, who has been there since 1965.  Leaving as deputy head, to be the head at a school in Oxford.  She seems very capable, a quiet, restrained British woman who reminds me of "Miss Judson" though perhaps the updated version, not quite as stern.  The menu was strawberries, raspberries and loganberries (?) with cream and sugar (someone should tell them about powdered sugar!) accompanied by champagne or orange juice.  It rained lightly and we gathered under the marquee.  We spent some time talking with Mrs. Moffat, who looks like John Denver (she is the Group 3 [girls] teacher, and was Mara's teacher for a week until Mara was restored to her proper spot in Group 2); after that, Mrs. Cairns (pr. Kens), Mara's present teacher, who spent ten years in the states in New York.  Both women are interesting, and we talk about weather (Mrs. C.: weather is not dependable here, it has been better over the last ten years than ever before), cross cultural things like consumerism, etc.

 Also talked to Brawnwin Von R. and a French gal with died blonde hair in her 40's or 50's, who Cathy says drives a Roller.  Saw Tim S. who says Robert is doing best in classes and bravo for Agassi, mustn't we be celebrating.  I think of Tim as the opposite of me (Mary as well), so un-selfconscious.  Tim is the former athlete, you feel so comfortable with the two of them, how do they manage?

 Dreamt I was travelling across country, Russia.  Had to go through very cold area (I was cold in the night.) during one part I flew home and came back for the car ride.

 Meeting Josts today for lunch in London, Mon Plaisar on Monmouth Street.  My first meeting with fellow employee since June, 1991.

 Finished The Woman in White.  I couldn't put it down!

 Saturday 11 July.  4:30 p.m.  My life is impressionistic.

 Sunday 12 July.  3:55 p.m.  Very cloudy.  Threatening but no rain expected.

 Notes:  To cry out to God, not be independent (from  Glittering Images).  War/self defense as the easy way out?  i.e., have we ever completely tried Jesus' plan?

 Monday 13 July.  10:30 a.m.

 "Rota":  list of people.  Rotation, as in a roster.  (People having things to do in that order.)

 "Hustings":  parliamentary election proceedings.

 "Crikey!":  expression of astonishment, corruption of "Christ."

 Later in the day:  Rained 7 to 10.  Light to moderate, beginning with sprinkles.

 Thinking, as I read the Psalms: As one moves away from a pure obedience of the 10 commandments, or away from the strict "don'ts" of the Catholic church, one becomes more uncertain of the path to God.

 There was a very good reading yesterday from Deuteronomy.  It was Moses speaking and it was to the effect that: how blessed, happy are you!  You do not have to search for God's laws, here they are! (referring, I take it, to the 10 Commandments).  What an extraordinary thing: to have the "law" delivered directly from God!  What could be easier than keeping His laws, now that you know what they are!

 The next reading was Paul, and I forget its point, but the Gospel was the story of the lawyer who asks Jesus what is the law, the way to heaven.  Jesus asks him what he thinks it is and, being the good lawyer, he deduces: love God above everything and love your neighbor.  After the lawyer asks (I take it not with entirely wholesome motives) who is my neighbor, there follows the very beautiful story of the Good Samaritan.

So we have gone from the laws handed down from heaven to the laws which address, purely, our relationship with God and neighbor, not a commandment or a law, but a description of the state in which that relationship must rest: love.  It is at once easier (we know the end in mind, the goal, the perfect, not just the borders beyond which we must not go [the "don'ts]) yet, at the same time, harder, because it is the ideal, which leaves us the large middle ground.  The question lies between the two: how far short of the goal is permissible?  Even as I write that, I know it is not a good question: how much can I get away with?  How difficult for all Christians; exactly when must we behave as the Samaritan?  Today's life, particularly in the City, is a good example.  Is a homeless person like the injured traveller?  Today a member of the homeless community might very likely be the cause of waylaying a traveller. 

I do not know the answer.

Yesterday, as I sat in church, I realized it was probably time to admit to God that I do not have all the answers.  Actually, I should say "complain" to God, for that is a much better way of putting it.  Usually, I tell myself, wait things out, God's will be done, etc., I can bear anything.

But I thought I saw yesterday that when I say, "go ahead, deal it out, I can take it," I'm holding myself out as not needing God's help.  I'm saying, I can go it alone.  It is not the voice of the child of God, it is the voice, if not of pride, then of the stubborn child.  I recall often the words that I must trust in God, and I have learned through my children (more than I ever dreamed I would) what this means.  I must recognize that I am dependent on God for everything I am and everything I do.  So, that includes not just my daily battles (my wants, my needs, my fears, etc.), but my attitude toward victory in those battles.

In one sense, however, I suppose a real child thinks he can do everything himself!  Certainly I see that in Robert!  A younger child is more dependent, so much so that he or she does not spend any time worrying: he or she knows the father and mother will provide.  Occasionally the child complains, often does his or her own thing.

It is hard to concentrate on things with the movers coming tomorrow.

I suddenly realize, suddenly see, as I think of how difficult I have always found writing in the summer, that this past year has been like one long summer.  I have had spots of diligent craftsmanship, and I think I am better off for that.  I have tried, and if I didn't necessarily fail, I wasn't very successful either.  Still, I wrote things, I worked through some ideas and saw what became of them when I put them to the test.  (Not much!)  The next steps are the same, but I hope also they will be progressive, and I will not have to retrace my old path.

As I watched the Sound of Music the other night, in particular, the arguments of Uncle Max to Georg to go along with the Nazis, to at least appear to go along, I thought of how brave Georg was in steadfastly resisting the temptation to take the safer, easier path.  I thought how in my own life I face similar temptations.  For example, to go along with the idea of wealth and all it brings, to be seduced by the importance of things I work on.  How easily is it to fall into these traps!  Another article I read recently mentioned how the devil's work is behind the idea that we are too busy to do the things we should, to concentrate on what we must.

I read the Psalms and read of David's praying about battles, about the Lord arming him and protecting him in battle.  Shouldn't I be thinking of my own life in terms of such battles?

As I near the end, I remember my stay in 1967, when I neglected my diary at the end and how that time is now a tantalizing mystery.

I look forward to going home, to have a change of scenery, make life a little more simple here (after the movers leave) (until life becomes incredibly complicated back home!).  I suppose one might tire of a summer with too many days like today (July!): cold, wet, windy; but we will miss them back home, though I recall wonderful rainy summer days in the desert, oh, the smell!

Hob nob creams, hot coffee and
in the kitchen on
a cold, windy, damp day.



Jeffrey's First Communion
June 7

No comments:

Post a Comment