Monday, January 2, 2012

17. Re-reading My Rejection Letter; Thinking of Books

Saturday 23 May.  4:45 p.m.  Have just reread Scott Meredith's letter of 10 March.  Rereading for the first time since I received it in March.  When I read it the first time, it seemed to go on and on with the little carrot at the front (very promising, good effort), but mostly critical.  Having reread it, I find it more helpful than my first read.  I also read it the first time out loud, which made it seem to go on and on. There were big words, paradigm, prolix, etc., the "p" words, which I thought evocative of the New York literati, a world of self important advisers.  There seems to be more help than I first thought, and I look at the letter more kindly.  On to the next step with greater structure, the key word for the day.  The problem of course remains, and that is that I rarely seem to know what I'm getting at: revelation of life in glimpses and bits is all I seem to find, momentary epiphanies of seemingly small value.

As I walked around London on Thursday and Friday, I found myself thinking more than usual.  The result of Ulysses, I'm sure.  My consciousness of my own thoughts has been raised.  I concluded that probably the greatest advance in 20th century literature has been the study of one's own consciousness, taking Proust and Joyce as two primary examples.  I suppose the other idea has been to elevate the anti hero as worthy of veneration in the story.

We used to have heroes (for a long time: epics), which coincided with the certainties of Christianity.  With the advancement in this century of self-consciousness (Freud, Proust and Joyce) came the elevation of the ordinary man to hero and, a cousin to that, the possibility of a bad guy as a hero, that is, a sympathetic bad guy character because now we can understand why he is the way he is.

Where do we head from here?

The old fashioned story remains important; a story with morals to be learned remains a good read.  The word "rebuilding" also comes to mind.  The Waste Land represents the dissolution of the old order; Ulysses wrecks the old order by placing one day as the new order.  The search is on for the more complete self, i.e., consciousness, followed by the struggle to give that consciousness new meaning.

So far I don't think anyone has really given meaning to that self.  Ulysses relies too much on classical references (like the play Death and the Maiden, where the protagonists spoke about Schubert, as if Schubert were very important, and he was to them, a love; but is Schubert important to 80% of the people in the world or a particular culture?  Probably not.)

Thus, while all the effort that goes into Ulysses is rewarding, it is more of a discipline than an enjoyable read.  I agree that the lessons, consciousness, family, father-son, love (as the introduction says) are important and worth the trouble, but there are easier lessons, easier ways to learn the same thing.

 We no longer have the time to learn the references Joyce uses.  Homer, for example.  Memory seems to be a better reference point because it is ready made for each of us.  The problem I suppose is to somehow tie all those memories together.  One way this has been done, I think, is through the Holocaust.  Perhaps that is why there are so many books about the Holocaust, because it creates a central reference point in the memory, excluding less important memories, unifying alien minds who all react in relation to the central memory of our age.  There are other examples: Vietnam in the U.S., other common cultural things, televisions, Catholic upbringing, Nixon, Kennedy assassination, and so on.  (What will be the new memory events of our time?  The collapse of the old communist order in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union?  The rise of fundamentalism in Islam?  Perhaps the liberation of people from political ideology as they turn to become consumers of things?)

Where are we headed?  Can there be a new statement for us all to say, "Yes, that's it?"

Thursday we saw Death and the Maiden.  It was a simple story and a simple theme, in contrast to all the Shaw we have been seeing.  I enjoyed it but I suppose I wanted a bit more from the play than it delivered, perhaps deeper questions, answers.  However, the play dealt with terrible emotional experiences, torture of humans, one by another; therefore the strong emotions are balanced by simple ideas.  (Do strong ideas balance well with simple or less emotive characters?)

 Today in the paper read how older women have been lifting plants from Kew Gardens: an epidemic of thieving!

 Sunday 24 May.  8:45 p.m.  Sat inside and read all day, first finishing off Fatherland, then Brighton Rock.  Now I am outside listening to the swifts, a few other birds chirping, doves cooing, quiet day ending, having a cigar.  I almost feel I have to smoke outside and it is a fresh, moist Habana Upman (£5).  There is a pretty small Spanish chestnut in the back, Easton's side, and a bird, blackbird size, but not a yellow beak, digging for a few last minute worm snacks.  Tomorrow is a Bank Holiday, the third one since Easter Monday, plus May Day.  I think it must be Memorial Day in the U.S. tomorrow as well.  It was breezy earlier, but now cool and calm.  The swifts come and go, a very slight breeze.  My ankle (2 weeks now) still hurts, more today than 3 days ago.  I tried to jog yesterday, two days walking around London on Thursday and Friday.

 Fatherland: a good thriller.  Nazi Germany as if it won, the Holocaust has never been made public.  As I read now, I keep noticing things that seem to me techniques: I notice little hooks of suspense, hopes for situations thwarted, then other things, appreciating the writer's craft more.

 We have two pink rose buds now, sweet peas starting, one other shrub, hawthorn-like, nothing else but a few flowers on the weeds.  The lavender looks as if it will come soon.  A jet comes by landing at Stanstead.

 Brighton Rock fits into my thinking of novels.  It's a good example of how a bad guy (Pinkie) can be the focal point of the novel.  He is a real bad guy, but portrayed sympathetically enough and given enough of a psychological profile and unreality to make him a character the reader wants to find out about, as he drags down the innocent Rose.  The "innocent" Pinkie/Rose take opposite courses, good/bad, but almost end up the same because of lack of faith/belief.  Has their Catholicism let them down?  (And nothing to replace it.)  In contrast, Ida, the almost-hooker believes in people; she is the heroine, if one may be said to exist.  Blackbird flies by with a squawk/squeak, the swifts blend in, disappear, come back, blend in, etc.

 I always feel a little uncomfortable with Greene's Catholicism.  He portrays the idea all right, but there is too much ritual, the characters seem to speak miles beyond what they would really know.  But I fall for it.  Great stuff!

 Monday 25 May.  Bank Holiday.  12:45 p.m.  Walking to mass this morning I was thinking of making up a story involving characters with a collective memory, thinking to create my own references in the story, and therefore create my own conscious world.  Would it work?  Have to give it a go.

 Also began thinking a little of collective memories now, and my thought turns to the Holocaust and also to slavery.  How is it that these two different, but similar memories should have produced different results?  Catholics/Christians have a strong collective memory, and that is the deep impression of Jesus' life, particularly the Last Supper, Crucifixion and Resurrection.  Lately, however, that memory has been attacked from all angles, weakening it.  Need to fight to retain it or figure out what is the next step after collective memory.  Anarchy?

 Thinking about the consumer world in which we live.  The danger is great that we succumb to the belief that we can buy happiness.  We buy, buy, buy and consume all the time, with the idea that these things will buy us peace and happiness.  One thing I have grown more used to here is how everything takes more time.  Back home, we try to accomplish much, thinking, I suppose, that we should prudently consume our time, spend our time to make us happy (like the acquisition of things).  Over here, little things, such as going to the market and doing the laundry take more time and as a result we do not have as much time to consume.  (Interesting idea that U.S. is richer both in material things and in time.  Compare our 40 hour week to 48 hours here, yet we get two weeks vacation and they have six weeks here.)

 Anyway, over here is closer to being in the "old" days, when making a living took time and there was less time for distraction, leisure and improvements.  Which is better?  One thinks of our lives in terms of God.  Is there anything about either way of life, in God's eyes, that would make one better than the other?

 I don't know, other than to say that having more time to spend/consume offers the possibility of both putting that time to greater good and greater evil.  Just the same, I guess, as riches offer opportunities for greater good works or evil use of money. 

 Thinking the other day that during my year away I have become more accustomed to a particular way of life.  I understood, in Santa Fe, in 1989, that home is where the heart is, where my family is and that that could be anywhere.  I confirmed that this year, not missing anything at home really.  This place, with Cathy and the children, all of us engaged in common discoveries, has been more of a home than home was!  The question is what to do with this?

 Tuesday 26 May.  10:03 a.m.  Sunny, another warm day, perhaps not quite as warm as yesterday (25C/77F: double the Centigrade temperature, take away 10% and add 32, e.g., 25 x 2 = 50, 50 - 10% = 45, 45 + 32 = 77).  I estimated 78, Cathy thought high 80's.  It's the humidity!  First roses out now.

 I need to add: how often I awoke with backaches at Callita Court, now never, though at first there were.  Perhaps tension?  Stress?  At home when I jog I usually make them go away, how does that work?  Does work at something such as jogging, mindless, hard, take your mind off worries?  Is it the exercise itself?

 Great line to remember from Ulysses: sentimentalism is indulging in feelings without responsibility for what it all costs:  'The sentimentalist is he who would enjoy without incurring the immense debtorship for a thing done."  Page 164, line 550.
 Later.  Thinking of the letters from the literary agent.  How I circle around the point.  How true!  My father and mother both tell stories like that, my father's "shaggy dog" stories and my mother's care for detail!  On the other hand, it strikes me as very English, judging from the newspaper stories which beat around the bush for two or three paragraphs before they get to the point.

Later still: Maybe grammar is the manners of language, to be abandoned and ignored on occasion; but never without good cause:  Katherine Whitehorn.  The Observer.  Sunday, 24 May 1992.  Although I question the last clause (I would say: but only for good cause), I think the sentiment makes sense.

P. Ackroyd, Sunday paper:

I'm not a confessional writer," he says.  "It comes down to Catholicism, in a strange way.  It sounds pretentious, but Protestant writers are very keen on the individual experience and moral consciousness, and Catholic writers tend to be more concerned with ritual, display and rhetoric.  I'm more in that tradition--not concerned with exploring individual experience necessarily, but having a good time instead.

5:40 p.m.  Spoke with Brian a little while ago and asked him to wire $2,500.  He told me the second mortgage loan was approved, so we are all set.  I feel nervous calling him and still feel upset, a nervous anxiety in the pit of my stomach.  I suppose it is nothing more (or is it?) than knowing I am stuck going back to where I left.  Probably not much changed.  I thought before, OK, I envisioned myself back at the office doing the same thing.  I am not so sure, now that the reality is imminent.

I have fiddled around with all kinds of writing this afternoon and treated myself to a "Choice" movie on BBC1 at 2:20, Alastair Sim and a very young Trevor Howard.  Murders taking place against the V-1s (1942).  I enjoyed it, but my life is as real as the movie.  My movie stars me as the writer, getting by, things will work out; they always do.  The reality is that I do not know what I am doing nor do I know which way to turn, paralyzed by possibilities.  (It helps to say that!)  I come around again as well to my childhood disc jockey persona, Michael Stewart, Mr. Pretend.

I know that things will work out.  Of course they do.  There can be no doubt that, except for occasional moments of longing, wishful thinking, I can go back and do what I was doing before without a problem.  Perhaps I am now just standing back enough to catch the view?  And it is awesome.  Back home, at work, there is no view, just driving down the road, on the path, not much to see but what is straight ahead.  Perhaps it is necessary for me to get that view, to give me the push to go for what I want.  But the problem is that though I may not like the view I still don't know what to push for!  If I am disgusted and sickened by the thought of going back, what do I do if I don't want to go back?  That is a different decision, not the same as deciding to can it all.











Things to Do and See
on Bank Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment