Sunday, January 15, 2012

18. Of Many Things as I Near the End

Wednesday 1 July.  Roman Day.  Jeffrey dressed up appropriately.  Cathy drove everyone to school.  I gave her a driving lesson on the manual transmission on Saturday/Sunday. 


1:15 p.m.  A cloudy, cool day which looks as if it will be wet, but remains dry.  I have spent the morning reading: Ulysses, The Long Weekend and perusing my last reading notes/underlines of Proust. 

I have wanted to make a note of the buzzing hum of the lime trees.  Do the bees or flies prefer them to other trees?

The birds as usual are chirping loudly.  Wimbledon comes on at noon, I have not turned it on, it is somewhat addicting.  I seem to recall, whether independently or through my mother I can't say, that we arrived in June 1958 during Wimbledon.

Later in the day:  Noted last night reading introduction to A Woman in White (Wilkie Collins): Dickens is the genius/artist. Collins the craftsman/storyteller, per Julian Symons.  Why?  Because Dickens has symbols and Collins is stuck with pure storytelling. 

We watched Agassi vs. Becker for awhile till it was called.  June was the hottest since 1976, third hottest in the century, but the weather is quickly changing.  Saturday with the J., David remarked how nice the weather was for the big Cambridge University graduation day.

Reading somewhere recently: optimistic people do not make good writers, a writer needs that dark side!  But what about mystery?

Reading Gore Vidal's review of Montaigne's new translation.  Montaigne wrote essays to himself, no one else to write to.  I feel I should be doing the same.

10:48 p.m.:  Last night dreamt about moving.  It occurred to me this morning that dreams are not so much wish fulfillment as means of working out the problems that persist in our world.  When we first arrived here I dreamt of lawyering for up to six months.  Perhaps my dreams were trying to resolve my lack of purpose in my new world.  Without law, what was I?

I have finished Ulysses with the help of my guide book.  One can't help but relate to, be impressed by the mental gymnastics, games, tricks, plain erudition of Joyce.  He has indeed created a real world of the Dublin of Bloom and a real person in Bloom himself.  It is a worthwhile sign that I stuck with it.  I enjoyed the games the most, then again, I found myself laughing out loud sometimes at the comedy.  The only book I've ever done that before with was Huckleberry Finn.  That's good company!  How often, in the last month, have I found myself talking to myself as I walked through London, stream of conscious thoughts a la L. Bloom!  We all see these things going on about us, but it is only when they are singled out by the writer that we notice they go on (which is not to say that others might not have done so as well, though it is hard to believe anyone could have done it as thoroughly as Joyce).

There were many times I found expressions used in the book, which I would have thought of more recent origin.  "What's bred in the bone," was one and I know there are more. 

What to make, however, of a novel which requires a guidebook?  I'm sure there is a place for that.  Ironic that Joyce elevates Bloom to Everyman, the hero as Everyman, yet Everyman would not read the book.  Yet that is more the function of the 20th Century than simply Joyce.

I did tire of the continual attacks on the Church and Jesus, etc., yet I say that with a post Vatican II mentality.  Church going and beliefs in 1904 were a lot different and I suspect there were things to complain about, yet, while religion and Jesus and his richness in symbolism (in His life, meaning, etc.) offer good fodder for the inventive novelist, I can't help but think that a lot of the barbs were cheap shots, perhaps meant to show off Joyce's wizardry as much as anything else.

When I think about other novels, I see a particular scene or plot, but Ulysses seems to be life itself, not just a part.

Thursday 2 July.  Balanced check book at Barclays and Federal Express came with Valley Bank and other documents.  Martina vs. Monica on Wimbledon.  Cloudy.

10 p.m.  Looking at an old guide to London.  I felt as I remembered feeling in Las Vegas: London is the greatest city in the world for me.  I'm not sure what there is about it.  Perhaps it all ties back into my 8th year when I spent time here, but I look at the old pictures and I feel connected to this city for some reason.  It's not quite maudlin tonight, just a matter of fact.  I love it as a place!

Friday 3 July.  8 a.m.  Cloudy, cold.

I had an interesting dream last night and have interrupted my reading of The Woman in White to describe it.  It was a reunion of Peter M. and myself.  Fran was in it as well.  In one part I was supposed to go to court, drive to Bakersfield for a bankruptcy court hearing, find out what happened to all this missing money (Robert Maxwell type).  I had booked a room at the Union Plaza, was waiting for J. Joseph.

Somewhere in the hotel, I think, I ran into Peter, perhaps in the bar.  We got to talking.  Eventually I made it late to the court hearing.  John O. and Tom B. were there (two good, antagonistic litigators), finding out all the information I needed to know.

Back at the hotel, Fran had ordered a hamburger and spilled juice on her clothes.

Sometime in all this Peter and I were lying on the bed in the hotel room.  The room looked like his room in Malibu, but there was a double bed, not twins like his room.  Anyway, we were just lying there (I think he was in the covers, I wasn't; there was nothing sexual involved).  I think I must have gotten around to asking him about his father and I was very surprised when he told me, with no hint of ambivalence, "Don't ever ask me about my father!"

I was surprised because I had always thought what a great guy Mr. M. was, hanging around all the time, the coach of the baseball team, etc.  He seemed like a great guy to have for a father.  Yet this was, apparently, the solution to Peter's mystery: he never liked his father, cared only for his weak mother (who, I was proud to tell Peter, still spoke with my own mother).  When I understood this, somehow I was better able to understand Peter, to realize that my ideas about him all those/these years, even though I had even lived with him, had been wrong.  I had misunderstood him.  He was a pathetic, misunderstood kid, deserving of my compassion.  I no longer felt angry, frustrated at him for having abandoned me (or was it I him?) back in high school. I felt as though, in the end, we could be friends again.

9:45 a.m.  The rain has begun, as promised, giving the men's semifinalists at Wimbledon (three Americans: Agassi, McEnroe, Sampras, and a Croatian whose name has too many i's in it) a rest.  Cricket as well at "Old Trafford," which I think is near Manchester.

Occasionally I still get renewed reawakenings of being in England for the first time.  This morning it was my towel which smelled, for the first time, as I remember a towel smelling in England a long time ago.

Also thinking this morning how this year I have had a chance to relive an event in my early life, living in England, and that perhaps what I should do next is to pick the next thing to relive.  What would that be?  Fresh from a passage of Wilkie Collins about the first time a person of the opposite sex stirs you, I thought, fleetingly, not seriously, I should go out and fall in love again, then realized I have the opportunity to fall in love with Cathy and the children anew, almost every day.

Perhaps, like England in its place setting, I need to relive living at the beach.  The thought of living closer to the ocean is tempting; very.  With all the threats and fears of earthquakes, living in California may, in some slight way, be like living in England.  Here one makes hardship and restraint a part of one's life by choice or temperament (the famous "stiff upper lip"): we have seen it this year with the continual threats of IRA bombs and fires (incendiary devices).  California has the constant threat of earthquakes, indeed, quite a few one this past year; yet life goes on.

There is, of course, an obvious difference.  I couldn't help but notice the earthquake kits last time I was in Laguna Beach.  It only makes sense, of course, to be prepared in an emergency, yet I can't help thinking there is a more Hollywood-like air of concern about earthquakes in California (they are celebrities!), whereas IRA bombs are more a part of the daily routine here (no trash bins, don't leave suitcases unattended, etc.).  Celebrities here are looked down upon, except in the tabloids!

At sea,
Adrift in mystery.
Fog banks obscure
All but
Our tiny circle
Of water,
Where you and I
Go about our daily routine,
Searching the sky for
Signs of life,
And keeping our dingy
Relatively free from flooding.
 
All life to me, the daily small things to the imponderable questions of immortality, are wreathed and cloaked in mystery.  If I am to pursue this craft of writing it must be to explore these mysteries, to learn what I can from them, solve them when I can, appreciate them when I can't.

I am, if not desperate, certainly inspired on to complete this journal today.  Tomorrow we leave to go to Lyme Regis and these Italian paper books do not travel well at all, in spite of the leather back.  So I hate to take it on even one more trip.  Instead I will bring my new Smythson's diary, like the one I purchased at Asprey, but bigger and the same price, with a leather cover and even nicer, white paper.

I told myself this morning that the reason I have not completed the writing I wanted to complete (whatever that may have been) is that this trip is very much a part of my education, and I am still absorbing experiences about which to write, but that is not exactly true.  It is the formation of a central theme or idea that I seem to lack.

Cathy and I watched a show on television about a countess, a refugee from Russian invasion after World War II, and her daughter.  The daughter thought the mother had secrets, the daughter travelled back to East Germany and saw her own grave, i.e., she was not really the daughter.  Afterwards I was struck by the variety of stories in Europe.  There are so many different kinds of cultures, each with its own history, its own home.  People are pushed about, forced to flee home for various reasons.  I suppose we have some of that in the U.S., but I don't get the sense that I do here.  People do flee their homes in South or Central America, Haiti, Asia, Africa, etc. and move to the U.S., but it must be that the U.S. seems to be a whole, with people coming into it from outside.  "Safe" countries such as Britain (a place to which one can flee in refuge) seems to be only a part of the whole.  Here I identify with a part of the whole (Britain vs. Europe) whereas at home I identify with the whole.  The invasion of refugees is from without, not from within as it is here.

Read a terrific article in First Things magazine by Joyce Little, entitled, "Naming Good and Evil." It seems the problem with our age is that we have displaced God with ourselves, per Pope John Paul II.  Little uses the example of feminism and goes back to Eve in the garden.  Man is made male/female in the image and likeness of God.  What is that image?  (Man is a sacrament in creation being in image of God.)  Only God can say, because only God knows God; man does not know God, only His handiwork.  The tree of knowledge of good and evil which Adam and Eve are forbidden to eat is the attempt by man to name good and evil, rather than rely on God to name that for us.  Thus, when Adam and Eve eat from the tree, they take on themselves a function which God reserved for himself.

There is of course much more to the article, but a problem that occurs to me is that we must continue to rely on the word of men/women for guidance on the further revelation of the image of God.  We are no longer in the garden of Eden, where God walks and talks with us.  What, for example, does God (read Jesus) teach us about birth control?  That answer has to be extrapolated from the principles we learn from Jesus' teaching, principles that can be debated, misconstrued, etc.  There is room to maneuver!

The article goes on to conclude that many people simply turn to themselves for answers rather than to religion.  I'm not quite sure it's as simple as the author points out.  Things are not as bad as she says.  Most people have a better idea of God than just an easy life.  (I think she is specifically writing about America.)

(Makes me think: exactly what message do our children get from us about God?  There is church and "love" and heaven and dead souls to pray for, but is that enough?)

I agree that people have internalized God quite a bit.  There are a lot of experts out there and we don't turn to religious authorities as much as we used to for advice.  Yet how many priests have we heard talk about birth control at Engaged Encounter weekends, and almost every one of them seemed to have a different answer!

What Little writes about is not just "God is dead," (she talks of Nietzsche), but one of the problems of living in the 20th Century: everything is exposed for what it is.  The Church, for example, is "exposed" in its leadership and even in its sacred texts as being lead and authored by human beings (the feminists would say "men" though the real quality is simply that of being a fallible human creature) who sometimes do wrong.  Everything is put into question when we realize that people, including church people, make mistakes.  To solve this, we turn inside to our own personal understanding of God, trusting our own guidance system (homing devices) rather than relying upon a demonstrably fallible institution, which sometimes gives conflicting answers.

Is it better for us to follow the sometimes confusing, often hard, sometimes internally inconsistent voice of authority of the Church?  Or are we better off following our own ideas?  It would seem that, except in rare cases, we are better off following the voice of authority.  We have a tendency to get lost too easily when we are on our own!  Yet does that mean that whenever we do follow off on our own we err, or, worse yet, sin?

Birth control is a good example, not as simple as other "evils."  Whether doing good or refraining from doing evil, moral decisions are difficult: it is hard to be loving, to go to mass every Sunday, to live a life of frugality in order to be more charitable to those who have less; on the other hand it is easy to recognize that these goals, while hard to accomplish, are not really subject to second guessing.  They sort of flow from Christ's message and the ten commandments.  The practice of birth control offers (and perhaps I delude myself) ends which may be good: to ask God for less, to discipline our lives, to take better care of our planet, to take better care of our mothers and fathers who must care for these children.  These would seem to be good ends in themselves.  Must the act of being open to creation prevail?  Or is it that sex without a proper respect for life and greater material wealth are tendencies which must be avoided no matter the cost?

The Church's teachings in this area (and perhaps others as well, e.g., women priests, celibacy, though I am not at all convinced the latter is a teaching in error) shows how the possibility of interpretation can lead to challenges to authority, to a feeling that my own judgment can be as fallible or infallible as the Church's.  I'm not sure of the answer, except lots of prayer.  The Church keeps to main line areas, because it knows the dangers when we give ourselves too much freedom, just like a parent will insist that a child not drink, smoke or engage in sexual activities until he or she is old enough to understand what he or she is undertaking.

Then again, using my example, children do grow up.  We do become mature Christians and should be able to have greater freedom.  Does the danger of the claim to superior knowledge, Gnosticism, mean that the Church must never let us be responsible?

The road is fraught with danger.  It is worthwhile to remember, however, that when we follow the Church with a trusting attitude, we are acting as Jesus told us, when He said we must be like little children and trust in the Father.  That is a hard, very hard, thing to do.  We constantly want to take charge of things ourselves; fortunately it takes me a long time to get moving, so I tend to remain where I am, believing that God will lead me where He would have me.  England came at the right time.  There will be other changes, I suspect, in time--His, not mine.

2:45 p.m.  It has been a cloudy, sometimes rainy, sometimes bright day.  I went to mail letters around twelve and smelled the damp, fertile smell of England that seems to only come in warm weather, a smell that I infrequently sense, no doubt because of the drought (which I can now mention, without smiling, as I first did after moving here from the desert!), but a smell which seems to have a place in England a long time ago, some place near the smell of diesels and the towel I smelled today and the electric/damp concrete ozone smell I smell in the Underground.

To add a thought regarding trusting in God: there are times when Jesus acted as a man, perhaps not himself always trusting in God.  For example, when he threw the money changers out of the temple or made water into wine.  He didn't always say, "It's God's will" or "It'll take care of itself."  In one case he became angry and in another he acceded to his mother's requests.

In Jesus' own relationship to the Law, he reinterpreted it through - Himself (e.g., sabbath rules), and sometimes went against established practice.  I don't think we are quite capable of doing the same thing ourselves (i.e., interpreting the Church's laws through ourselves), yet Jesus calls us to love above all.  Recognizing that we do not always act in/with the purest of notions (even when we do, are we right in our interpretation of what love means?), there seems at least room enough to think for ourselves.

Lot of rain today.  I don't think Wimbledon ever got started.  Watched an old (1938) movie called "Bank Holiday" and went running again.  Not too much else besides journal.  BBQ hamburgers for dinner, Seymour kids over.

No comments:

Post a Comment