Tuesday, November 22, 2011

15. Journal Entry from Higham Hall

Sunday 22 March 7:35 a.m.  Higham Hall nr. Cockermouth and Bassenthwaite Lake.
Thinking, as I read the Bible, that God seems to always be asking, "What have you done for me lately?"  Two responses to this:

1.         There is always the example of the good thief.  At the last minute, what have you done for me lately can be the act of contrition, of love of God.

2.         God is always steadfast Himself.  If He never lets us down, why should we ever let Him down?

I have often thought that we "sacrifice to idols" these days.  It is clear who and what are the idols, I am less clear about how we sacrifice.  Does this mean working all the time to get more money?  i.e., sacrificing time that could be spent in our relationship with God and our brothers and sisters, or does it mean, simply, placing our money and time (our sacrifice) on the altar of our material idols?

Had another dream of Peter before I left Saffron Walden.  Then I was thinking about M. on the way up here.  Why is it that I don't let go of these thoughts?  One answer is that I really am afraid to grow old and die, and desperately wish I had not passed those days.  Perhaps I am somehow trying to stop time.  But if I had it all back again, what would I do?  What more do I want of M. than what I have?  (I can't think of what, except her undying affection, but I would never give or want to give up Cathy, so I can't really think it is M. I want so much as just a time in my life when everything was new and held promise, even though every day was not always good itself.)

With Peter it's probably the same idea.  What do I want with him, nothing much more than with M.: the undying affection.  Saying those two words again, "undying affection," makes me think a bit more what it is I miss or lack or want: that undying friendship and companionship of love, to never be separated from what the heart once desired and found its home in; to be always in a state of relationship rather than coming or going through it.  I suppose that is what is so important, so good about marriage, the constancy of relationship.  In that sense, the lifelong relationship of marriage really does mirror God's constant love for us.

My heart at one time was with M. and with Peter in as strong a way as possible, and now they are both gone, like a part of me missing.  As I had in my dream the other night when I met up with M. (I think I have had one dream about each of them), I wanted to know what happened: not to rekindle anything, just to figure it out, learn more about myself, see what parts of me were out there, which were taken, rejected, beautiful, ugly; how it all worked.

Then, as I drove up here, I also was thinking about Cathy, and thinking that if marriage is as close to a God/human relationship as we have here on earth, then I certainly have a long way to go!  I don't always feel I know God or Cathy.  Time for me to work on that, while I can, get to know her better and perhaps I will get to know God better.

Have greatly enjoyed this weekend on Coleridge.  We are in the places Coleridge lived!  Word has gotten around about the American.  I have been quite impressed by Bill Scammel and David Lindley's abilities to explain the poems, but, even more so, their ability to recite bits and pieces of poems, as if the poems really meant something!

The land here has reminded me just a bit of Idaho, though there is much more water.  The towns and sheep, stone walls and mountains/hills have also had me thinking more than once that I was in Switzerland.

The birds are singing, it is a cloudy morning, mists surround the peaks of nearby Skiddaw, on which there was new snow yesterday.  Very green.  Here at Higham Hall there are lawns in the front overlooking the lake far below.  Yesterday the ground was spongy from all the water.  It could be like Como or like Flintridge, overlooking beautiful scenery in the distance.

Stopped in Grasmere on the way up.  Beautiful small village, home of Dove Cottage which I walked through.  It is something to be where Wordsworth held court almost 200 years ago in the aftermath of the French Revolution.  STC is very approachable, likeable fellow - but for his almost total abandonment of his wife and children.  Once again, it seems there is the tendency of genius to place more importance on one's genius than families and loved ones.

My last point this morning: Life keeps getting more and more complicated.  There is more and more information and each generation knows more than the preceding generation.  There must be a time when, very old, simple information is forgotten and must be rediscovered.  (I like to think that's what my poems are!)  The example that comes to mind is that when the heritage people were redoing the Statue of Liberty, they had to come to places in Europe to find craftsmen to do some of the work.  The old skills had been lost in the US.  8:48 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment