Thursday, November 10, 2011

13. The Mugging

ISaturday, 4 January (cont.)  Ileft the hotel around 5:30, made two left turns and headed down the Royal Mile, thinking I would scout out the restaurant Cathy and I had booked for dinner.  I stopped at a chemist and bought some toothpaste.  A block south of the hotel, I turned west and found the restaurant in the first block.  Thinking I would just circle the block, I then turned right and discovered St. Patrick's at Cowgate, where I walked in and checked on tomorrow's mass times.  At 5:40 in the (now dark) afternoon, Saturday evening mass was on.  The front lot was filled with cars.  I left, heading toward North Bridge on Cowgate, completing, literally, my walk around the block.  Fifty feet ahead of me a light to medium skinned black man walked toward me, and, after briefly noticing him, I gazed elsewhere, as I take to be the custom, so you don't look someone in the eye.  We passed.  I didn't have much more of an impression of him than I had noticed from afar and the sense of him passing by.  I'm not even sure I remember him passing.  Suddenly, however, someone (I'm not sure who at this point) is all over my head, hitting, clubbing me with his fists.

I flailed about (happy, in retrospect, that I did not really panic, though I thought I might get knifed or have a hand go through my pockets for money-- I had a lot, fresh from the ATM).  A few seconds later, he was off.  I walked, stumbled out into the street.  I turned around.  He looked at me and gave me a grunt, like "Take that, you asshole!" and walked away.  The entire encounter must have not been not more than 30 seconds.

The Scene of the Crime the Next Day
How strange!   5:30 in the afternoon, close to church, cars going by off and on in the street, a block away from the hotel and the Royal Mile.  Then the traffic stopped - a lull, perhaps a red light.  My attacker came, then went.  The traffic resumed.  I staggered, then walked along the street, turned right again and walked, then jogged up the hill (Blackfriars Road) toward our hotel.

I have a couple of good knots on my head ("goose eggs," Cathy says).  I think he kicked me as well, because the back of my calf hurts.  I don't think he had a weapon.  I'd say he was 6 foot, possibly a couple of inches taller.  When I saw him, the two of us alone on the street, I think I had my American instinctive fear of race, perhaps it showed on my face for a second, though we were then at some distance.

My guess is the guy was just angry.  Was it the world or me or rich people?  Do I look rich or soft?  Hard to know what impression I convey.  I had just looked at the mass schedule, 9 and 11, I think, and was pleased with myself at planning a good Sunday: 11 o'clock mass, breakfast at the place up the road that has American pancakes on the menu.  I wonder if I had a smile on my face?  Or perhaps I looked lost, though normally I am an intent and determined walker: head slightly bowed, eyes down, steady stride.

I have to say that I wished my attacker well.  What could so trouble a person to do such a thing?!

This was my second attack.  The first was verbal only, but scary!  This time an octopus around my head, something I could fight back against and less time for fear to take hold.  Look out for the third time!

            *  *  *

We are in the old section of Edinburgh and took the walking tour of the Royal Mile today.  I've never seen so many nooks and crannies ("closes"), ideal places for creepy things at night.  The city itself is quite beautiful, lying in the middle of so many hills and valleys.

What will I think of Edinburgh in the future?  I don't think this will spoil my appreciation of the city.  Will I have nightmares?  I think not, judging from the verbal assault that night the crazy fellow calmly approached me that evening on Strong in Las Vegas, coolly promising mayhem and the Book of Daniel.  I was merely a bit jumpy for a few days, thinking I might have been followed.  Here there is greater comfort in people, but we will definitely use chains on the door!

Really, though, to realize that one's life can be worth so little to someone else is reason to stop and think.  What kind of a world do we live in?  Yet, I'm the first to admit that a big city is a big city and these things happen in big cities.

Sunday 5 January.  12:25 a.m.  After dinner.  The unpleasantness is almost gone.  My experience is fading into memory of unpleasant things: thoughts, not feelings, though, when I think of the labels, "mugging" or "assault," and feel the goose eggs, a little bit of the reality of the negative feelings and bad vibrations and hate and all the wrong things come to mind and make their presence, their reality, felt.

Came back this evening and watched a playoff game with Robert.  Denver beat Houston.  Robert said, "I hope your head feels better."  Cathy said that when the guy said he would cut me up with razors in Las Vegas I came back white as a ghost.  Not this time.  I'm now an old pro at assaults.  It's definitely more run of the mill, less me personally and more the time and place in which we live, though I can't divorce the attack from me personally.  There must have been something in the way I looked that passed between us.

I was interviewed by the police.  In Scotland two witnesses are required in order to file a complaint.  They'll call me if . . . .  Obviously that's not something I'm really concerned about.  I looked at mug shots, couldn't ID anyone.  They have five PCs (police constables) on duty in Edinburgh tonight!  The PC said no problem to walk to dinner.

Again, again, was it me?  I'm sorry the way I looked, I hope my companion has better days.  What troubles!  I'm glad I got angry and silently flailed away.  Rest easier, my friend, we're all headed the same way.  Is it really worth it?

8:45 a.m.  Idea this a.m.:  Story or beginning a la Proust: my room in Malibu all by myself (a room of one's own in a big family).  The radio, the picture, my bottle cap collection, that little toilet, wayout fear (talking to mother, FDR fear speech), privacy, solitude, etc.  Elaborate all re Malibu and growing up and religious influence.

8:30 p.m.  Back of my head hurts all over.  Sore or aches when I touch the area (push against it, like muscle soreness).  Still can't believe it!  Weird!

9:40 p.m.  Watching television: "ABC Murders" by Agatha Christie, staring Hercule Poirot.  The crazy man did not do it, the murders were done by the fellow with a motive.  Thinking of last night: it's much easier to understand motives than craziness.  Last night was I a robbery victim or a symbol of richness or whiteness or just someone in the wrong place at the wrong time?

What was going through my attacker's mind as we passed?  Was I a victim all along?  (The PC said that the area was around where the vagrants hang out, and that there are not that many colored people in town.)  I don't think I was strong enough to take the fellow on, but enough, I suppose, to make it last more than a few seconds on a street with at least some traffic.  Did anyone see?

The fellow never said anything (neither did I), other than a grunt as he turned and walked away.  (Did he even speak English?)  If he was intent on robbing me, wouldn't he have said something or tried to stick his hands into my pockets?  I wonder what was going through his head.  What was going through my head?  Why attack my head?  Attack the thoughts I was thinking?  It was a surrounding head attack, he must have been much taller than my 5'11" to swarm over my head like that.  My vision was blocked with his arms.  He must have seethed as he walked by.

Thomas had a great conversation with the priest at St. Patrick's today.  Las Vegas boy, knew where he was from (America) and his age (3 1/2).  Where in America?  Las Vegas.

On the Walking Tour

Cold and a Little Creepy

Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment