Sunday, November 20, 2011

15. Nearing Spring; Walking Cambridge

Tuesday 3 March.  Cambridge walking tour with Tara and Pasqual.  Cathy stayed home.  Lunch at Brown's then attended King's College Chapel services (evensong).  Cathy had bangers and mash for us for dinner.  Too salty!





Wednesday 4 March.  Tara and Pasqual to London with Cathy.

Friday 6 March.  Tara and Pasqual back to U.S.

Sunday 8 March.  Sunday afternoon lunch with the parents of Mara's friend, Katie, George and Liz Hill, in a small town north of Cambridge.  The St. John's boys (Robert included) practiced their rugby.  Met a number of very nice people.  One told us of being mugged by a gang of kids in one of these small villages!

Monday 9 March.  10:20 p.m.

Chopping down the branches in the graveyard
Burning them before they bloom,
Smoke rises wickedly, smothered in the air.

Worked on poetry today.  Seventies section, will be eighties section too.  How many?

I have dreamed of Venice about five times since we returned.  Nothing monstrous or mysterious, it just seems to form a new background for my thoughts, little did I know what I was missing!

Not sure where I'm headed now.  I sat at the desk all day today.  Cathy asked me if my creative energies were on hold while the book is under consideration, poor dear!  Of course not, but where do I turn now?

One thing I have probably learned is that I am not so much a philosopher about life as an observer and a describer.  Although I subscribe to the Christian point of view of a universe governed by God, that seems to be such a natural part of things that I am hard pressed to call it a philosophy of life.  Instead I find myself continually in awe of this world around me.  Knowing there are many mysteries to this world, I am ever on the alert to find another connection and relation.  There are so many things we do not understand.  Somehow memory ties into this as well: something with which to appreciate this world: enhancing the present through story telling.

I decided the other day that I should think of death as a changed form of life, not an end.  Sometimes I feel so attached to all the magnificent things I see, from the birds in the skies to the little children skipping down the street, my own children, the way Cathy looks sometimes, the way women look sometimes!—that I feel I would be very sorry and sad to say farewell.  Yet God created this world, we are His creatures and have been given this kingdom, it must be to some purpose.  It must bear some relationship to the heavenly kingdom.

We had an interesting discussion at Jeffrey's first communion class last Thursday.  Father Edmond explained the Eucharist to us, the best explanation I have heard in many, many years.  He explained how Jesus is present in the sign of bread and wine (in the same way that, to believers, miracles are a sign of God) and that His presence is of His glorified body, which, in turn, relates to our soul.  As an experiment, I consciously tried today and yesterday to feel my soul, but it's hard to tell.  It can't just be consciousness, it has to be far beyond that; then, too, we inhabit bodies, which must also tie in.  Against all of this is the doubt, the fear that maybe this is all there is and death is it, which could very well be the reason I have a problem with thinking about saying goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment