Friday, November 11, 2011

13. Ghosts in tne Night; Turner Watercolors

Tuesday 7 January.  9:40 a.m.  Lounge, Carlton Highland.  

It was a windy, noisy evening last night!  I awoke at 3:40 in the morning, a bit too warm, took off my shirt.  I heard a lot of commotion out in the street, as if a bus were loading.  I got out of bed and walked to the window.  I looked out onto High Street and couldn't see anything, though I didn't open the window and couldn't see the sidewalk below.  The wind was really whipping around the corner at times, rattling the heavy windows.  I lay back down and tried to go back to sleep, but sleep did not come.

The thought began to dawn on me that perhaps I had been mugged by Mr. Hyde!  My imagination began to speculate further.  Perhaps there weren't any people on the street below, perhaps they were the ghosts of all the inhabitants on that street (I had just read of the Porteus lynching, and we have been steeped in local history for the past three days).  Perhaps I was hearing the sounds of the street merchants or perhaps the children playing on a Sunday in days very much gone by.

The thoughts kept me awake for awhile, not because I was fearful, more because I was trying to determine the possibility of what I imagined being true.  The ideas, twin, Hyde and ghosts, had caught my fancy.  I had been encouraging Cathy, trying to talk her into taking the ghost tour in the evening.

A little later I began to think of how to stop the window from rattling.  A match book jammed in between the bottom window and the window frame might work, but we didn't have one.  I was too tired, anyway, to get out of bed again.  I had checked on it once already, the children did not seem to be bothered, though Cathy had awakened once.  Finally the idea came to me to fold up a piece of newspaper and wedge it into the cracks, and as we had plenty of newspapers handy, and the intermittent rattling was driving me crazy, I got up and wedged the paper in the cracks.  I looked again onto the brightly lit street, but still could not see anyone making the noise.  Gradually, however, the noises, though not the howl of the wind, seemed to die down and, with the window rattle fixed, I fell asleep, thinking again on the strange case for Mr. Hyde.   

The next morning two things happened that bestowed on my idea a peculiar sense of reality in spite of the reasoned argument against it.  The radio awakened me at 7:30 and not very long afterward the prayer for the day came on.  It was about a professor who had had the most terrifying experience of his life in Scotland, climbing down from a mountain in the mist and hearing his footsteps in the snow echoed by a sound of other footsteps, following his, taking steps twice as long.  Perhaps it was the dreaded X monster (I've forgotten its name).  Apparently there is legend of something like the abominable snowman on this particular mountain.  The author of the prayer for the day spoke of the reality of the fears within us: can they happen?  Can they somehow exist outside of us?

Did it happen to me, I wondered?  But then, how had I been able to raise goose eggs on my own head?  A hallucination?  A big black man on a street, just the two of us alone was one thing, even him looking at me afterwards and grunting were in the same vein: hallucination was certainly possible, but the head clobbering and the goose eggs?  It was like I was smothered in arms: Medusa-like snakes attacking their own head?  It seemed a little too strong for hallucination.  Surely I was not able to create a force outside myself?  But then, anything was possible, wasn't it?

The speaker went on to discuss how Jesus could recognize these fears within us and spoke to them.

After listening to the prayer of the day, I showered and shaved and got ready for breakfast.  After I dressed, the phone rang and it was the constable again, asking me to look at a few more pictures.  He came up, and although I did see two pictures which could have been my fellow, it was not a positive ID and he left, saying the case would be kept in the computer, but closed unless something else came up.  Before leaving, however, he made a comment which played directly into my imagination.  He said, "As I said the other night, when your wife was asking whether it's safe to walk, this is the first incident like this we've heard of in Edinburgh.  I've checked with CID and they've looked through their records and we find no records of a similar occurrence."

I told him of my thought that perhaps I had been attacked by Mr. Hyde.  The complete Edinburgh experience, I joked.  He just laughed.

4:45 p.m.  Dark outside, though the sky is still a bit blue, not black.  About all we did today was visit the lovely Scottish National Gallery atop the Princess Street Gardens (the Greek looking one).  We were treated to the Turner exhibition which only comes out in January.  The rest of the year the watercolors are tucked away, out of the light, in accordance with the instructions in Mr. Vaughan's will, so as to preserve the color and the brightness of the paintings.  They really are beautiful - the blues are simply a wonder!  Before we left, I bought a bust of Homer and a crystal bud vase to put on my desk.

The bottom galleries have immense Italian paintings, along with some Dutch works.  The Scottish paintings are in the basement.  There was an especially good one that nicely captured the light and shadows on the side of the mountain.  I could almost see the shadows and sunlight moving across the mountainside.

Before I left I went up to the Impressionists gallery.  This follows our viewing two weeks ago at the Hayward Gallery of the Tolouse Lautrec show.  I couldn't help but feel disappointed, especially today, as I shifted from biblical stories and myths to the ordinary subjects of the Impressionists, as if the art, now prettier, had lost an extra dimension, that of the story, in treating as its new subject the ordinary lives of men and women.  Ordinary people were always in the paintings before, as were the landscapes, but they were backdrops to the more important subjects of the stories themselves, whether it was the Holy Family or Jupiter and Venus.

So I have solved something for myself: Above all I like the stories, the picture is just a means to that end.

Wednesday 8 January.  9 a.m. train, Edinburgh to Peterborough.  12:56 p.m. train, Peterborough to Cambridge.  Home at 3 p.m.  Sunrise in London: 8:04; Sunset 4:11.
Two Gentlemen

Waiting to Leave in the Early Morning Darkness


The Train Home

No comments:

Post a Comment