Sunday, October 2, 2011

6. Picking up the Van; West to Tetbury

Dover.  In contrast to London's warm, bright day, Dover is cold and foggy.  Upon arrival, we each have a cup of tea while we await our ride from the dealership.  It is a wonderful cup of tea, the best I ever have in England, a perfect remedy for the aggravations of the afternoon and the cold, damp sea air and the perfect fortifier for the long evenng ahead of us.

We pick up the car just before closing, at 5:27 by my watch.  Though I have all my car related papers, neither the woman who takes care of us nor I know what is needed to transfer the vehicle, and, after showing me where the manual is (she is unfamiliar with the Vanagon Carat, but feels she owes some duty!), she wishes us well and closes up shop.  Fortunately there is a petrol station open across the street and I fill up for 25.50 pounds ($45).  I obtain directions from the attendant and we are quickly on our way back to London. 

Neither driving on the left nor directions seem too difficult, it is highway just about all the way to London.  We arrive in the City at 7:30.  Although I lose track of the signs and drive the long way around, I have a general idea of which direction I should be going, and we make it back to the flat by 8:15.  A 43 mile trip.

London to Tetbury.  The VW is a nice sized room on wheels, complete with table, but it is an effort in creativity (as it was with the Suburban) to load up the car with all of our luggage (including that belonging to the forward troops) and still have room enough for Mara and Jeffrey to be comfortable.  But I quickly do so, with the van double parked in the fairly narrow street, finding the key in the promised hiding place.  The day is growing dark.  I call the Folly Farm to try and let Cathy know where we are and when to expect us, but there is no phone in the cottage.  (It is hard to imagine the world before cell phones!)  I do, however, receive some helpful directions.  By 8:45, as much as I love London, I am happy to be on the road again in our new car. 

We head out, following the signs to "The West."  Finding the M-4 without getting lost is relatively easy: it's the same direction as Heathrow and well posted, and we do not stop until a rest area a couple of hours out of London.  The directions to Tetbury are very good: which M-4 exit, which turns and so forth.  I follow them right to the end, where I lose the track.  Fortunately, I see the "Folly Farm" sign and find our rental, Folly Cottage, directly across the road, as promised. 

It's pitch black when we arrive at 11:30 p.m., 150 miles from London.  All of the lights inside are off, but I recognize a most delightful stone cottage.  I have to knock on the door and arouse Cathy.  She is happy to see us, and helps bring in Jeffrey and Mara both of whom are asleep.  I bring in the luggage, this time with the thought that I will only have to do this two more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment