Saturday, October 22, 2011

11. Reflections; Places

Tuesday 12 November.  Took car to Vindi's in Sawston, then bus to Cambridge and to Library.  Back to Sawston and pick up children in Cambridge.  Sunrise: 7:13; Sunset: 4:16.  Weather definitely colder.

11:10 a.m., Cambridge City Library, Lion Yard.

It is a somewhat cloudy, cold day, but lacking in breeze.  I have the morning and most of the afternoon to do nothing but wait till the car is ready, so I will remain working here at the library.  And I will write!

Downstairs in the Lion Yard, a fellow is playing the violin, somewhat madly, having just finished playing "The Four Seasons."  What a nice touch, to hear the music in the background, muffled through the glass and the books and the many people with whom I share the library.

I was thinking on the way out this morning about my selfishness and perhaps now is a good time to explore it.  What I mean is this: yesterday I spent the day in London, content to wander aimlessly about, shopping, or as is more often the case with me, buying.  I have done it in the past; it is what I might call "cold comfort," a way to pleasantly pass the time, feeling that I am accomplishing something by feeling I am attending to a need.  In fact it is not a need, but more of a feeling that it would be nice to get x or y, that my life would be more meaningful or I would be more productive or more efficient C something like that.

The truth is that I seldom need what I buy.  I already have enough paper and pens to write several novels and more books than I can read in a lifetime.  I have more clothes than I can possibly wear.  I keep buying clothes here and I have boxes of clothes at home that I do not know what to do with.

The interesting thing is that I spend a lot of time praying and thinking about others; though usually in a global sense, e.g., the sick, the poor, the suffering.  Though I do not, indeed cannot, think very well of individual cases of suffering or need, I do believe I feel strongly for all in the world.  By the terms of my relationship with the problem: global, immense, universal, there seems to be little I can do about things except pray.

This reminds me a little of my relationship to books and records.  The library of either looks immense, formidable, uninteresting, even boring, but if I take out a specific thing, I find myself quite taken up with the individual work.  By the same token I see humanity as immense, indistinguishable, yet find I could spend the rest of my life listening to the stories one person had to tell.  How does this all fit together?

As I grew up I had problems with relationships, in standing my own ground, and being something more than a follower.  I was unable to comfortably, nicely and assertively set out my own personality, almost as if I became clay in my companion's hands without an ability to think for myself.  Was I trying to be nice?  Was I a coward?  Was I so enhanced by novelty, by a new thing that I lost contact with my own self?

It is as if my childhood relationships brought out the worst in me.  As if I were better off alone, because that way I would not be tempted to follow a path I had no interest in walking down, though, at times, that path appeared attractive.

I can see that by writing I have found a self centered approach to life which has apparent legitimacy.  I don't think I chose to write to be self centered, I think it was the other way around, namely, that as one whose outlook was self centered, writing seemed a natural progression.  Unfortunately writing which remains self centered has little appeal to others and not much marketability.

 Shopping.  It seems to me that I have fallen under the influence of buying things much as I have fallen under the influence of other companions.  It seems easy to go along with the way they suggest: a new pen helps writing, a new book entertains or gives new wisdom, a new coat keeps me warmer or makes me look more like who I fell inside.  A new pair of shoes will help me run better or walk easier.         

 The difference between a friend and a thing:  In grammar school we were taught that we could not love things, because things cannot love us back.  Things are empty because they only bring to us what we give to them: they are only reflections of ourselves.  A human being is not empty and brings him or herself to the relationship.  If we love someone, he or she will reflect back our love in some way of his or her own, which may or may not be what we want.

 Perhaps by placing desire, satisfaction and happiness in things we try to control the giving of ourselves; we shower affection on a thing and it can only give that affection back to us.  If I lavish the same attention on a person, there is a risk that person might not reflect that affection back to me.  He or she may ignore it (pretend it doesn't exist), reject it or perhaps even spitefully pervert it (as by making the giver out to be a fool or making the giver jealous).  Thus, I can see that buying things is an attempt to control my life and loves.

Some years ago I remember looking in on a sleeping infant Robert with tears in my eyes, wanting to protect him, to keep that child within the circle of my love and protection, and at the same time realizing that I could not ever control him.  I had to give freely without knowing what would happen.  I think that realization has made me feel better about the children, loving them no matter what, trying to fortify them, educate them, rather than protect them.

On a less elaborate plane, buying things is a way of putting off what I really need to do, which is to write C something that is not always easy.  I put off thinking I will get around to the harder work, and then one thing leads to another, etc. etc. and before long the day is shot.

When I wrote my book, back in 1989-90, what kept me going was an interest in my main character, myself.  I genuinely wanted to know what happened to him: what was missing, what was the secret?  The few stories I have started had this kind of idea to them, but I have had no real interest in my character-- there is no mystery to him, he can be or do whatever I wish.  I do not find myself on a journey similar to that of my character.  This, perhaps, is what I need to work on, developing a character with whom I can empathize and speculate.

To change the subject completely: as I read about English football (soccer) teams competing in Poland and Turkey, and in light of all the talk in the paper about whether and how Britain will integrate itself into a federal Europe, it is easy to see how geography ties Britain into Europe.  At the same time, I see how, in our (American) relationship to Britain, language and literature (and, as a result, law) unite Britain to our own very different culture.  In the midst of it all, astride two very different worlds is Britain.

Feel pressure to work on a story or something in time to show my parents (if only to answer, what have you been doing?).  It's not a bad pressure, probably good.

Friday 13 November.  8 a.m.  Clear, some clouds.  You'd think this was a nation of professional counterfeiters the way sales clerks at the till (cash register) check for fake £10 or £20 notes (holding them up to the lights to look for the band of metal).

His finger fondled the rosary beads,
Caressing their hard, smooth, round surfaces,
The motion of rubbing his fingers back and forth
Eased each prayer into a smooth, steady rhythm,
An unbroken litany of petitions
For this life with an eye to the after.
How oh how can such precious feelings be prayerful?

I have finally figured out that telephones here sound like chirping crickets.  Two quick, startling chirps, then long ones.

Why do I keep thinking of my father's writer friend, Myles Connolly?  It seems strange to me, since I didn't really know him that well.  He was more of a symbol, a guy who went to mass every day.  I'm not even sure I know what he did until after he died. 

My favorite paintings or lithographs usually leave an opening for a story: the girl walking down the railroad tracks with her back to us, the table looking out the window, a door, always possibilities.


Worked on idea of novel of place. Hailed at 3:50. Robert babysat in the evening and Cathy and I went to see the McCapra Quartet at Pembroke College for Mozart Festival. Beautiful, old, enchanting college.

Saturday Pictures: Cambridge

St. John's

No comments:

Post a Comment