Monday, October 31, 2011

12. The Frost; "Laws"

Friday 6 December.  Thomas, Cathy and I travel to London at 11:43, from Cambridge to King's Cross, then Oxford Circus.  I pick up my glasses and we walk down Bond Street, with stops at Smythson, Asprey, Saville Row Guild (I buy a navy overcoat) and Rayne (shoes).  We try to get a drink at the Ritz, but cannot because of Thomas.  Next we visit Jermyn Street, with stops at Floris and Fortunam and Mason.  We are back by 6 (15:43 King's Cross return.)  We have a late night in town at Saffron Walden with Santa, pork sandwiches, Tombola draws and raffles.  It is lively and fun, but everyone complains of the cold (feet especially).

9:50 a.m.  First sunny day from the start in weeks, though that's not really true, we had some when mom and dad were here.  Clear and frost. 

Yesterday finished two essays on "Unreal City" and "Words" for the John Harriott Memorial Prize Contest.  I don't honestly think I will win, but I like the essays, and it was fun putting them together.  I have worked on a third called "Laws," but I'm not at all sure where I'm going with it, so I don't know if I'll send that in as well.  I much prefer to tell stories about myself and to write about less controversial subjects!

LAWS

One of the unexpected benefits of a sabbatical abroad is a better understanding of one's own country.  In choosing to live in Great Britain for the year, I well expected that there was much I would learn about Britain and the rest of Europe, but I did not expect to learn more, as I have, about my own home, the USA.

Not too long ago, I had the pleasure of attending a seminar on the impact of environmental laws on lenders; that is, what happens when a lender ends up with a mortgage on contaminated property.  The problem is a well known one back home.  Congress has enacted a substantial number of laws in this area, enough to keep lawyers and judges busy until well into the next century.  The state of environmental laws in Britain (and the EEC) has not evolved to the stage it has in the US, and when it does, it's a good bet that Europeans will look to America not only for ideas that work, but for the kinds of solutions to be avoided as well.

Although I am not a litigator, I do have to keep up with the latest court decisions.  I am not at all familiar with British law (at least since it was adopted in the United States in the 18th and 19th centuries as our common law), but I do read the newspapers  (excluding the weekly law reports, which seem to be about as dull as the advance sheets I am forced to read back home).

Having said all this, I can see striking differences between the American legal system and what I see of the British system.

In the US, if a drunk driver kills someone, it seems to be the consensus judgment that the wrongdoer should be put away for 135 years; here I have a sense that it is more like five.  It is now commonplace to observe that the British are not as litigious as Americans, but it goes beyond this, for even though the cost of living here appears to be equal to or greater than at home, damages awarded plaintiffs in personal injury actions are much lower in Britain than in the US. 

What I see, as I look back across the ocean, is not only the frequently noticed attitude that people no longer like to bear responsibility for their own mistakes or misfortune, but, more fundamentally, a belief that the aim of law should be not only to fix wrongs, but to make things right as well.  The British attitude appears to be (in the legislating area) if it works at least somewhat don't fix it, and (in the judicial system) things aren't ever perfect and we can't do too much more than we've done - how interesting that two similar systems have ended up so different!

 While there may be present in American attitudes that evidence that unmistakable American belief in the perfect society, I can't help but see something much more unhealthy, a sign of our age that seems to travel around the world and spread faster than the flu. 

That disease is the belief that we human beings have, from time to time, that we can make everything all right.  Seventy-five years ago the god was communism; today there are many who promote the god of capitalism, though the god of green (in an environmental sense) is rapidly gaining converts.  The god of law is simply another of these characters in the temple of the world, each one cloaked in an ideal, this time of justice.

When will we learn?  I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have false gods before thee.

12:25 p.m.  British Rail, Cambridge to King's Cross.  The day alternates between clear skies and grey clouds that darken the day.  We're now speeding along at a pretty good clip and the sun is out.  Not far back, from within the grey, the bright part of the day shone off in the distance, the color of orange/pink, like pink lemonade.  I asked Cathy if she could stand living in Seattle after the experience of the grey days here and she said, "Yes, if I had a nice house like the one we have now."

Last night and this morning I worked on my essay about laws, coming to the conclusion that the Americans have an attitude that law, like a false god, can solve all problems. Nothing, however, can work such miracles.

Now I begin to wonder if I don't see place as a bit of god myself, thinking that places, whether they be Malibu, England or Seattle, can solve all of my problems.

I realize, of course, that living in a place I love will not answer all of my needs.  I tell myself I like Las Vegas, but the truth is I have to keep reminding myself of the good parts: the easy commute, the sunshine, the job security, fairly wide open spaces and so on.  True, these are things I do like, but I think that if I lived some place that I really liked I would be happier, happier with green and water, happier with the feeling I was no longer on the island of Las Vegas.

Saturday 7 December.  Shopping in Cambridge is more crowded than usual.  I take the boys to their golf lessons.  I buy a book case, then take it easy.  We attend evening mass and have steak a poivre for dinner.

9:20 a.m., Grange Road outside of St. John's.  Clear, sunny day (with the usual haze and smoke, however).  I dropped Robert off at 8:39 (for 8:40 start) and am sitting at the table in the van.

Today is the second day of the hard frost, which is quite beautiful.  The top of the six foot hedge to my right is covered in ice, as is just about everything within ten feet of the ground.  Most of the trees are now barren.

We have frost at home and it too is lovely, but there is not much for the frost to paint!  It is the desert after all, and the absence of humidity and lack of plant life mean that frost is limited to the lawns and the cars left outdoors overnight.  Here everything that is not paved is filled with some kind of living thing, and the only things not white are the roads and the recently ploughed fields, though even they have small crests of white here and there.

We are now officially half way through the sabbatical: we left June 7, six months ago today.  I don't have any new insights into all of this other than what I mentioned yesterday: Las Vegas is a place I have to remind myself to like; it does not come naturally.

Thinking this morning that I am simply too much into myself!  I shall do some Christmas shopping and try to imagine the delight of those opening the presents. 

The American Playing Fields,
Saffron Walden

Market Square
with Christmas Decorations

The Furniture Store Sale
This sounds like a Victorian diary!  9:40 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment