Wednesday, October 26, 2011

11. Mozart in Cambridge; Red Berries

Monday 18 November.   12:40 p.m.

I am feeling greater and greater pressure to produce something, as my parents come and then as Cathy's parents come.  All the letters to me as well, how's the writing, etc.  I guess I will plug away at the old stuff and see what becomes of my efforts.

Finished Canto X of Purgatorio and struck by the lines:

My eyes promptly toward him, for a strong
Desire possessed them (it's the way I'm made)
To see whate'er new thing might come along.

-- sounds like my wanderings!

10:20 p.m.  Returned from Mozart's Mass by London Festival Orchestra at King's College Chapel.  We sat in the front of the church, in the choir area, in fine old wood carved seats.  The orchestra was in the back, out of sight (we had the cheap seats), though our immediate surroundings almost made up for not being able to see the orchestra.  At one point, at the end of the Gloria, I feel asleep and, as I awoke, halfway between dreaming and waking, for a moment I thought I was in a scene straight out of Dante, as Virgil and Dante pass through the gates to Purgatory and hear the angels singing! 

What a terrific contrast to last week's performance by the McCapra Quartet in the old Pembroke College library.  The surroundings in the library were intimate; indeed my view was directly to the naked back of Ms. McCapra, as I watched her muscles move with her intense involvement in her violin playing.  Tonight was intimate in a different way.  Since we couldn't see the orchestra, it was up to each person to do what he will with it.  I gazed all around at the magnificent church architecture, the wood carvings, the ceiling fans, the seats, the night-blackened stained glass windows.  In the beginning of the concert I tried to read Virgil, but after the first movement gave up totally to the music.  I found it much more engaging, emotionally, than usual for Mozart.  To make everything just right, at the beginning of the concert one of the supervising ushers announced that the hostages Terry Waite and Terry Sutherland had been freed and that the Mass was dedicated to them.  The group, not that large, gave a round of applause.  The same announcement was made by the conductor on the other side of the wood screen (on top of which is the organ), when he came on to a larger round of happy applause.

After the concert, we exited to find the streets all wet, not from a heavy rain, but from one of those (seemingly typical) light rainfalls that doesn't seem to really interfere with plans, but makes the streets so wonderfully reflective of the night lights.

Idea for essay: God in Las Vegas.

Tuesday 19 November.  9:30 a.m.  It is a cold, windy, rainy morning and the forecast is for more of the same today.

Cathy reported a bit of local wisdom the other morning after her morning coffee with Debbie: if there are a lot of red berries then the winter will be a harsh one.  There do seem to be a lot of red berries.  It is really quite lovely, all the different kinds of berries; even the rose hips outside my window, on the rose bushes, which have now lost their leaves.  In the front we have a small tree in flower!  Does the tree think it's spring?

Yesterday pushed through and read up to Canto X of Purgatorio, which I like better than Inferno.  Purgatorio seems more philosophical, more relatable to my life than hell, though I saw myself in many different levels of hell.  In any event I did not get much done yesterday besides Dante, though I did read up a little on poetic meter and scanned ten of my poems in an effort to see which of them I should pursue further.  A bit surprised yesterday to find I liked the older stuff (1986) more, but perhaps that is simply because it seems fresher.

IDEA: Without our familiarity with myths, we must turn to memory as a guide, as a teacher, as proof of our own importance.  Myths: what great stories of explanation!  So in memory we try to invent our own great stories.

The small space heater I bought now goes on and off all day to warm my feet and legs.

Wednesday 20 November.  1:10 p.m.  Purgatorio, Canto XXVII.  Dante's dream of Leah and Rachel: active vs. contemplative life.  I find myself very much involved in the contemplative life!

Thursday 21 November.  9:35 a.m.  Foggy.

Tuesday we had the heat on all day.  Daily mass a couple of times.  Picked up the children at 3 or so—school traffic!  Today, cleaning ladies first visit.  Sunrise: 7:30; sunset: 4:03.

I have been thinking lately (and before), that I don't really know how to love God.  How can I relate to a Being which is perfect, so far from me?  Yet God created each individual out of love for that individual.  He is the source of all things.  How can I fail to love such a giving Being?

Of course, I am very grateful to God, thankful to Him for all He has given to me.  But is that the same as love?  If not, do thankfulness and appreciation lead to love?  Can they ever lead to love, or is one left with appreciation?  If I were to merit Paradise, I would surely be on a very low level, never having learned to really and truly love God.


Perhaps my problem is that I do not really believe God did all this, i.e., in Dante's language, I love a tree (secondary thing) because it is a thing of natural beauty and not because it is God's creation. If I really thought that God was the artist how could I help but love the originator of such art/handiwork?


No comments:

Post a Comment