Saturday, October 22, 2011

11. London, Again

Saturday 9 November.  9 a.m.

After a 30 minute run in Cambridge (dropped Robert off at school). I begin to see the parable of the rich man being like a camel passing through the eye of a needle in my own life.

First, my real purpose is to find my way to God, to want to be with Him above all else.  Riches, my own situation in life, distract me from this goal.  They are not bad in themselves, just so distracting!  But then I worry if I will be able to do all right without riches.  What can I do to get closer to God?  And then I remember the second part of the parable: with God all things are possible.  In other words, if I trust in God, He will take care of me.

Got the car washed and took Cathy, Jeffrey and Mara to the train station where they caught the 11:47 train with Camilla, Robin, Edmund and Rupert to the Lord Mayor's parade in London.  I picked up Robert and with Thomas, the three of us took the 1:47 train to London and met everyone in front of St. Paul's at 3 PM.  We enjoyed the "Fayre" for awhile, had dinner at Burger King and then watched the fireworks over the Thames from the front of the Unilever Building.  It was a fantastic light show!  We caught the 6:32 return train and were home by 7:30 for "The Ladykillers." the only one of the 10 Alec Guinness movies I managed to see.

At the Fayre

The Fayre

The Fayre


Sunday 10 November.  7:45 a.m.  Sunny, first good frost-- everything has frost on it, much more than we have yet had.  It seems that the seasons progress here in a very orderly way.  The leaves are gone from most trees, though occasionally I will still see a horse chestnut, they are lovely!  Oaks in Cambridge still have most of their leaves.

I had an interesting dream, and I will try and sort it out.  Dreams for me seem to bring a fundamental truth, even if they are not completely decipherable.

The first thing I remember is that I was back in Las Vegas for a partnership meeting.  There seemed to be a lot of activity in which I was not involved.  I remember D. and W. in particular.  W. I think ignored me and D. greedily wished for his sabbatical time (I say greedily in a nice way, as if one greedily devoured a delicious cake).  G. then told me, "Boy you've come back at a good time, we're flush with money," indicating there would be money for bonuses.  I was sort of surprised but the prospect of more money seemed a good one, though as the time went on and everyone's hours and money were looked at, I knew mine would be the lowest and therefore I would not be getting much. 

During the second dream I wanted to wake up and start writing about my life: this time I had something more like a sudden eye-opening awareness, to the effect that everything in the world and in what I am and what I do is suffused with the glory of God.  I am not even sure what it was I dreamed now, but I remember thinking, as I awoke at some time during the night, that there was Cathy lying next to me, a gift from God, a sign of God's glory.  I resolved, in my dream, to live the rest of my life with this consciousness.

Perhaps this awareness and dream is a direct result from reading the Inferno last week and thinking of all those dead people!

Yesterday, I thought, while running, about the rich man and his possessions and the kingdom of heaven: how we rich (I include myself) become so distracted with earthly things that we take our minds off of the main goal, our relationship with God.  (The same thing often happens to me here: I get distracted from the business of writing by bills, letters, purchasing things, trips.)  My idea yesterday was how, if nothing is impossible with God, then I must trust in God that I will get by in life without riches, and not worry about how I can provide for my family.  I'm not sure if that is logical or makes any sense, other than that I had the idea of a new need to trust completely in God.

Yesterday I began to think of my death a little.  (Dorothy Sayers remarked how the concept of infinity troubles some children and all poets.  I consider myself in both groups.)  I thought how the unreal world will be real, and this "real" world will be unreal and die.  I can't help but think of death like an airplane ride that someone else is taking, sounds like a good idea (beautiful scenery, going far, exciting trip), and I love to see people off and contemplate taking my own trips, but it's hard to imagine the terror if that flight were to crash.  To the outsider it is terrible and hard to imagine, but try to put yourself in it and imagine, and it seems all very unreal.

9:15 First Communion Mass.  Very noisy! Then to Cambridge at 2:30 for the Mozart children's concert.  Dinner at Pizza Express.  Nothing great.  It was Remembrance Sunday poppies everywhere the past few weeks.

Monday 11 November.  1:15 p.m.

Mass.  Then took car to ATS to fix a flat in the front left tire.  (Friday night at St. John's?)  12:57 train to London then to Green Park underground.  Much walking: to Harrod's, Walton Street, Bond Street, Oxford Street.  Deer near Stanstead.

Idea that like Yeats' "Wild Swans at Coole" the ocean, Flintridge, other places I come back to present a stability and a perspective from which to view my life.

8:15 p.m.  Stanstead Station.

On the way home from London on another adventure into selfish shopping.  I am beginning to tire of my own lack of discipline here.  In remorse I feel a need to lavish more time and things on Cathy.

Perhaps this is simply another part of my education?

Thinking today that riding on the Tube is like studying when I was in college.  A feeling that I wanted to be alone, but alone in the midst of a crowd.  It just doesn't seem to do to be really alone!  Today, more than before, I listened to the sounds around me.  The Tube car seemed to take breaths, this train car sings.  Rockety, rockety is a sound they all make, of course.  Then there is the sound of silence inside the car, with the people.  And the silent sound of their footsteps on the train station platform.  Shuffle, shuffle.  In London at Charing Cross, it's clack, clack across the stone floors.

This is a particularly noisy train, with wheels outdoors (the vent is open above the window) rattling, like a plate of dishes.  The noises are even present when the train slows, and there is a creak, creak, like an old bed, a soft creak, a silent creak almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment